What you do off your website helps SEO
Every business wants to rank highly on Google and other search engines. What you do online and OFF your website can make a big difference in getting found online easily.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the activity of improving your website ranking on search engines so more people can find your website. For what to do on your website itself, read about on-page SEO tips for small business websites. Here, we talk about other factors of SEO.
Off-page SEO refers to everything you do to enhance your ranking that doesn’t happen directly on your website.
Google and other search engines will assess your website for relevancy and authority. Relevancy is measured by comparing and matching what people search for with your content. Authority is measured by the amount and quality of links from other websites. There’s a lot more to it, but this is a good starting point.
Ways to improve off-page SEO with links
One of the factors in SEO are links to your website from another website. Search engines analyze the quantity and popularity of those websites that link to your website. This helps them identify trust, spam and authority. Trustworthy websites tend to link to other trusted websites. Websites with few links from trusted sources can be seen as spam websites, or less important websites.
1. Links to your website can make a big difference. Here are some ways to increase links:
- Social media: An active presence on social media can increase the number of links to your website. It can also help bring people to your website in the first place.
- Review websites: Having a profile on review websites, such as Yelp and Google My Business, carries its own weight in terms of SEO. Plus, you’ll get more links to your site. They are essential if you are doing any kind of local or regional SEO.
Other factors that impact SEO now more than ever
2. A mobile friendly website that works across multiple mobile devices. More than 50 percent of searches are made on mobile devices. If your website does not work on mobile, it does not work for most people.
3. SSL certificate – get a secure website with a SSL security certificate. Google started to penalize websites without this. Read more about how to make your website secure here.
There is much more to off-page SEO than links. SEO takes months to roll-out after you make changes. Starting with something is better than not, and links are a good starting point.
Need help to boost your website SEO and get found online? Contact Danielle on 760-440-5494 or email@example.com
Tip of the Week: Use tools other than your website to improve your search ranking to get found online more easily.